Saturday, March 29, 2014

Writer's Time Management!

As an aspiring author time management has been difficult to deal with. I know many of my friends have the same issues. I am hoping I can help just a bit to keep you on task. I have found some information, but 1st I'll tell you what I have found to work (not that it will work for everyone).

As you may have noticed by the theme of my site I love #wordsprint-ing. It gives me 20-30 minutes of writing where every wordie counts. Then I have 10 minutes to manage my household duties. I learned I can get dishes done, fold a load of laundry (minus matching socks), and vacuum a room completed in those 10 minutes. I have a word count goal for each day. Set word counts manageable at first and increase as you meet your 1st goal.

Other Management Techniques

1. Set Goals. Whether they are word counts or time of writing, goals are important. Counts should be set with a reachable goal with increases as you meet each goal. I increase mine every few weeks of during NaNoWriMo and CampNaNoWriMo. Setting a goal for editing is also important. Set an amount by words or pages.

2. Track Your Time. Keeping track of how long you write each day is important. Also include what you are doing in between writing, such as housework, errands, taking care of kids, cooking, research and anything else you do. Word sprinting helps with this.

3. Research. Every writer has to research a lot. Set aside time from writing to do this. Make your research count by making the most of it. Ask yourself, can I use this for another piece? Will this be needed later on though not now? This means you’ll be getting the maximum amount of writing time off a minimum amount of research time. Use research time to brainstorm; that includes older research.

4. Make Use of Waiting Times. While sitting in an office for an appointment take out your notebook and brainstorm, write a conversation between characters, come up with plots and plot twists, and anything else you need.

5. Keep Pen and Paper With You. Have pen/pencil and paper within reach; in the car, bathroom, next to your bed, basically everywhere. This way if you have a thought you won't need to try and remember it. Paper can be a notebook, sticky notes, sending yourself e-mails of thoughts, etc.

6. Eat right so you don't loose your energy and can keep creative. Have snacks and beverages ready when you sit down to write or research. This saves time from getting up every few minutes. No alcohol during writing even though 'Write Drunk and Edit Sober' is a common saying.

If these are not what will work for you talk to others about how they manage their time and when they write. No matter what you do these ideas will improve your habits, even if you only add 1 to your day.

Research sites: http://wrwdc.com/15-time-management-tips-for-writers/

No comments:

Post a Comment