Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Prepping Meals for NaNoWriMo

Prepping for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) isn't just about your project. Yes you need a story line, plot twists, characters and all that. For us busy parents it is tons more to preparing for a month of writing. There are sitters, significant others, appointments, and of course the kids.
My kids are teens and can fend for themselves for the most part, but I feel I neglect them during November when it comes to meals. Last year was my 1st NaNoWriMo and they complained about having to cook for themselves most of the month. I started doing slow cooker freezer meals the last 4 months. The kids love them and they even thaw them out and toss them in to cook. They ask for them more than I have made up.

So, I sat down with my kids and we worked out which meals the kids want and how many times each month. Here is our usual meal list for a month. For your meals, you choose what your family likes. The more they you like a meal, prepare for more than 1 of them. As you see here, There are several that I make up 2-3 of. Most of these are slow cooker meals. I do like to make other meals. Breakfast food is a major hit that's quick and easy. Roasted chicken takes me 20 minutes to prep and toss in the roaster. Goulash and sketti are also toss togethers I can do during sprint breaks. You can do a lot in a 10 minute break.

Once we decided what we would eat I made up a tentative meal plan. As, with all kids they do change their minds on what they want to eat each night. This is where freezer meals make it easy. My kids choose the night before what to eat and pull it out of the freezer.  I make up everything for the freezer on the 2nd of the month, when I go major grocery shopping. That means I have meals for every night planned. You can tell we do NOT eat out but as most families, you probably do. Don't change that just make sure you add it into the meal plans.
Here is what my October plan looks like.
















I highlight according to beef and white meat. That way the kids know for sure. I don't cook on Fridays or Saturdays because my kids are at their grandparents' then. Fajitas are the only thing I eat that the kids don't so I make those on Fridays for me and have leftovers all weekend.
Since November is Thanksgiving in the US, I am not cooking while the kids are gone. Or at least not planning anything. Here is what November's plan looks like.

For snacks I make them each Sunday or Monday night. This is my normal list.


Now, to make this cost effective here are a few tips.

  • Make a shopping list. This is a must.
  • Look at adds and compare prices. Your favorite store may not be the cheapest.
  • Take adds with you. Many stores 'price match'
  • Buy in bulk. Most meats are cheaper in larger quantities.
  • Look into meat lockers. Sometimes they are cheaper.
  • Use coupons. Yeah, I know many of us don't like it when we are in line behind ones who use them. It saves money. Last month I saved $13.49USD with coupons.
  • Don't buy all your fruity snacks at once. They spoil. 

You may end up visiting several stores. I live 35 minutes from town so I hit 3 stores. I start with the farthest away and I take a cooler in warm weather. I also use cold storage shopping bags. You can find these in most grocery stores in the freezer section.

For recipes and ideas check out 'Writer's Food' tab. You can always adapt your own recipes, use tin pans for oven use and add ingredient to recipes you find a bit bland. I add GARLIC to almost everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment